Falafel is nothing but Middle Eastern tikki(patties) made with chickpeas(o Ji saddey Choley 😉). They are generally deep-fried but me being me searches for a healthier option always so I baked them. Being a foodie making healthier choices is always important for me.
You can serve Falafel as a snack with some dip or you can stuff them in Pita Bread(Recipe here – Whole Wheat Pita Bread) to make a meal, that’s how versatile they are. Let’s look at the recipe:
- Soaked over night and boiled chick peas 1 cup
- Small bunch of Coriander
- 1 green chilli
- 1 medium size onion cut roughly
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2-3tbsp gram flour for binding( you can use APF as well)
- 2 tbsp olive oil( will help retain soft even when you are baking)+ some more for brushing
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Salt to taste
- Preheat the oven at 200 degrees
- Mix all ingredients in a food processor till the chickpeas, onions and all other things are mashed.
- Take this out of the food processor and make patties or any shape that you like.
- Now put the patties on a slightly greased tray and put inside the oven for 20-25 minutes
- Now turn them upside down after brushing a little oil on each of them
- Bake for another 5-10 minutes till you can see a nice crust.
- Baking time will also depend on how much moisture is there in the mixture so use your judgement.
- Serve them warm stuffed in Pita or as it is.
Your crisp yum Falafel is ready in no time. Enjoy😊