Pav Buns are small round balls of bread, very soft and fluffy to accompany your Bhaji (recipe here- Pav Bhaji) or Vada. These are baked together so as to form a chain/ Ladi and thus we also call them Ladi Pav.
Baking any bread lifts your mood and the aroma is a treat to your senses. This is exactly what happened to me last Sunday when I was baking these Pavs to accompany my Bhaji, I started dancing out of joy looking at the texture and face of these lovelies. So here comes the recipe for you to Dance 😊
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 cups All purpose flour
- 2 tsp instant yeast
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp + 1 tbsp melted butter
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup warm milk
- Water as needed to make the dough
Kneading is an important part for making any bread. A well kneaded dough makes great bread so pay attention when you knead.
- Sieve both the flours together and add salt sugar and Instant yeast( if you are using Active Dry yeast you need to proof it in warm water with sugar and then add to flour, I will very soon share the yeast proofing method in detail on this blog).
- Now add 2 tbsp of butter and milk to the flour mix and start kneading
- You can add water as needed to make it a soft dough, knead it for approximately 10 minutes. In this time a soft and smooth dough would be formed.
- Now brush a bowl with some butter and put this dough in the bowl and brush some butter on top of the dough as well, now keep it on some warm place covered and undisturbed for an hour for first proofing.
- If the yeast quality is good the dough would be doubled in an hour only or wait till it’s doubled in size.
- Now brush the baking dish with butter. Knock out the air from dough and make equal size 12 balls with the dough and keep them at a little distance from each other in lines.
- Now again cover the dish and keep on some warm place for 25-30 minutes till the balls double in size, they may stick to each other, don’t worry it will look beautiful and make the ‘Ladi’ of Pav Buns.
- Preheat your oven on 200 degrees for a good 15 minutes just before you are about to bake
- Now bake them at 200 degrees for about 15-20 minutes or till you see a nice golden color on top 😍
- Now take them out and brush some butter on top this will keep them shiny and soft
- Let them cool, and then run a pallet knife all around and take the beauties out.
If you are eating them right away there is no need to slice and toast them, a warm bread is satisfying as it is😇. But if you are going to keep them for use later, store them in air tight box in fridge stays good up to 5 days. You can slice horizontally and toast with some butter when ever you wish to have.