These days we have lot many advertisements about biscuits and cookies claiming to be free of maida(all-purpose flour). But still there is no guarantee of them being 100% maida free, plus the preservatives, artificial flavorings are additional issues. This is the main reason I have started baking our own cookies at home. I can experiment with flavors of my choice and these are made in my clean set up.
Yesterday, I made this huge batch of coconut cookies in different shapes and it’s half-finished already 😃 My husband and daughter both liked them. The recipe is very simple and a must try.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup ghee/butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1.5 cups desiccated coconut(dried)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- Milk if required to form the cookie dough
- First of all sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl
- Add desiccated coconut to the flour mix
- Now take another bowl mix melted Ghee or butter and sugar very well
- When it is mixed properly add vanilla and then mix it with the flour and desiccated coconut mixture to prepare the cookie dough. You can use little milk to make the dough if needed
- After the dough is made make a log kind of shape with the dough and wrap it in foil or baking paper like shown in the image
- Now keep these logs in fridge for a good 1-2 hours, so the dough is set. The reason being it is easier to work on chilled dough also your cookies won’t lose their shape while being baked. Whereas, if you use the dough without chilling the cookies will spread all and will lose their shape and will be flat.
- After chilling take out the log and unwrap, cut the dough with a knife in quarter-inch thick cookies and lay them on a baking tray. Don’t forget to line the tray with either foil or baking paper
- Alternatively, you can roll out the dough and cut in your’s or your kid’s favorite shape😀. I did both ways as shown above and some stars for my daughter😍
- Bake them in a preheated oven at 180 degrees for 10-12 minutes keeping an eye after 10 minutes. Take out and cool as and when you see golden crust on corners.
You can store them in an airtight jar for up to 25 days but I am sure they won’t last this long😃
Take your family’s health in your hands and bake these easy home cookies today itself. I am sure you will love them.