These days I am on a mission to remove artificial flavorings, additives, preservatives from my family’s diet. Believe me it’s not very tough once you have decided.
In this quest, I have been trying a sandwich bread since long and finally today I got a wonderful Loaf😊 I have tried different recipes and techniques of bread making and, for a loaf, I found this one perfect. This is called the Sponge and Dough method. In this you create a sponge with some amount of flour, yeast and sugar and let it rest so that the ‘flour slowly absorbs the water and it’s grains activate gluten, which is vital for getting a nice bread.’ This is all science which I have just said in a simple sentence for people like you and me to understand.🤗
A soft and airy bread is very satisfying and it’s a fruit of labour. You really work hard to get a perfect bread. The dough has to be kneaded very well minimum 7-8 minutes to get that texture, especially a 100% whole wheat flour bread needs that extra love😃 But if you think of health of your family, all of that is worth, isn’t it😍
- 3 cups Whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp instant yeast
- 2 and 1/2 tbsp sugar or honey
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 & 1/2 cup warm water
- 3 tbsp oil/melted butter
- Making the Sponge – In a deep vessel mix 1 cup water, 1 cup flour, yeast and sugar. Mix it well for a minute or two till you see the strings forming.
- Cover and keep it at a warm place for an hour, it will triple in size. Best place to keep this is your microwave. It will look like this after an hour
- The Dough – Now mix salt in rest of the flour, and add it to the sponge and mix
- Add water little by little and start kneading, the total amount of water needed depends on the flour and the weather. Just make sure when you finish kneading it is a soft and smooth dough. I ended up using total 1 & 1/2 cup water
- Knead the dough for 4-5 minutes. Keep on spreading and collecting the dough again and again. Till you see the dough has become little stretchy.
- Now add 2 tbsp oil and again knead for 4-5 minutes. The more you knead the better it is. It’s a nice exercise as well😉
- Now test whether the dough is ready, take a small ball size dough and try to stretch it in rectangle, if it’s not tearing your dough is ready
- Now spread the dough flat and start rolling and pinching to form a log shape to fit in your greased tin, or you can directly place on the tray as well. Brush some oil on the bread and sprinkle your favorite seeds or nothing
- Let it rest till it is doubled in size and then bake in a preheated oven at 170 degrees for 30 minutes or till you see the nice brown crust
- Let it cool completely, at least 1 -2 hours and then slice
A homemade Sandwich bread is a Great Satisfaction, try and have your piece of heaven😍😍