Soda Bread is an instant yeast free bread made with Baking Soda that needs no preparation in advance. This is now baked in so many cuisines but basically comes from Ireland and Poland. The best thing about this is there is no need to knead the dough much and keep it for proofing like common yeast breads. It’s really quick, if you are short of time just combine the dough and bake.
I tried this recipe because someone asked me for a ‘Yeast Free Bread’ as they are Jains and can’t have yeast. So this is completely dedicated to my blog viewer Sneha Lukkad 😃
On making it I realised it’s really a time saver, that I can make any day I am short of bread. I made it for our evening tea today so added some mixed herbs and chilly flakes for seasoning and it came out great. You can skip adding them or add anything that you like, in fact traditionally they add raisins to this.
There is one more special thing about this recipe that it is completely butter or oil free. Isn’t it a must try🤗
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp milk powder
- 1 tbsp dried mixed herbs
- 1 tsp chilly flakes
- 1 cup buttermilk(1 cup milk + 1 tbsp vinegar, or you can use 1/4 cup curd and 3/4 cup milk mixed together)
- First of all mix milk and vinegar together and keep aside, or if you are using curd and milk mix and keep aside
- Switch on the oven for pre heating at 180 degrees
- Take all the dry ingredients – flour, salt, milk powder, herbs and chilly flakes. Mix them well in a bowl and make a well in between
- Add the buttermilk in the well, start mixing.
- Combine everything and knead very little
- Shape it the way you like, traditionally it’s baked in shape of a round bread with a Cross on top so I did the same😊
- Making a cut on top of it is important, as it is the way from where the steam would get out, if you don’t mark, it will have some undesired cuts when it comes out of the oven.
- Brush some milk over it
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees for 20 minutes
- Increase the temperature to 200 degrees and bake for 5 more minutes. This is done to get the lovely crust on top. If you didn’t get the golden crust now also then bake for a few more minutes till you get the desired color but keep an eye over it
- Slice on cooling completely, enjoy as it is or with your favorite jam.
I loved the crust. It is a lovely crusty bread from outside and soft inside. We had it with some Onion Tomato Salsa with our evening Tea. My husband loved the super soft bread with his favorite toppings😍
All in all my verdict is it’s a super soft and super quick bread. Which makes it a must try😊