Taftan is a special kind of Naan from Kashmir. It is different from our regular Naan as it is flavored with saffron and is more flaky 😉 It is made rich and flaky with the use of milk, curd and butter while kneading its dough. I just wanted to try a different variety of bread so made these with my special Tamatar ka Korma for weekend dinner. They came out soft, melt in mouth and fluffy in texture. Saffron flavor adds to the beauty of this Naan.
I have made them with 50% wholewheat and 50% refined flour just to get a lighter texture. Yeah sometimes I do that 😉 its better than consuming 100% refined flour after all. And the result is super soft and yum Naans 🙂
Here is the recipe:
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup refined flour
- 1 tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp yeast
- 2 tbsp curd
- 1/3 cup milk
- 3 tbsp ghee
- 1 tsp Nigella seeds(kalonji)
- Few strands of saffron mixed with some water
- Salt to taste
- In a large plate or mixing bowl add both the flours, salt, yeast, sugar and mix well
- In a bowl mix warm milk, curd and 2 tbsp ghee
- Add this ghee milk mixture to flour and start kneading
- Add some water to knead a soft dough that bounces back when you poke finger in it, it will take about 5-6 minutes of kneading
- Let the dough rest for half an hour
- Heat the oven at 200 degrees if you wish to make them in oven or a griddle(tawa)
- After half an hour divide the dough in equal 6-7 balls and start rolling one by one
- On rolling keep the sides a little thick because that is how a traditional taftan is. Brush the saffron water over it and spread some kalonji seeds
- Now carefully take the rolled dough on your hand upside down(seeds side touching your palm) and with your fingers apply water on the back side of it and lay it straight on the griddle. It will stick to the griddle because of water; let it cook for some time and then hold the griddle upside down on the heat, to give direct heat to the taftan. This will give same effect as tandoor(traditional clay oven). Cook till you get desired brown marks.
- If you are baking in the oven then no need of water just put it on the greased baking tray and bake for some 10-15 minutes till it looks nice and golden.
Apply ghee or butter immediately and serve hot.