Fasting cookies!! Sure it sounds interesting isn’t it? These are not just something that can be had during fasts but they are great for people who are Gluten Allergic they are made with completely gluten free Amaranth Flour. The addition of almond meal and pistachios makes it even more interesting and nutritious.
I had this in mind since long but when I heard my loving niece saying that she is not getting anything to eat during her Navratri Fasts in her hostel, I decided to make few quickly and send her before the fasts last. We fast for 9 days during Navratri and eat only Satvik Food during these days. Satvik Food consists of no grains so only few things like Buckwheat (Kuttu), Amaranth (Rajgira), Barnyard Millet (Samak) Water Chestnut (Singhada) and Tapioca (Sabudana) are allowed.
I decided to make two versions of Fasting Cookies one sweet and one savory. For sweet I chose Amaranth flour with almond and pistachios. To my delight they came out very tasty and crunchy 🙂 and here is the recipe:
- 1 & ¼ cup Amaranth Flour
- 45 grams almond meal or 6 tbsp
- 1/2 cup raw cane sugar(I kept it light on sugar but you can use up to ¾ cup of it)
- 1/2 cup + 1tbsp ghee(Clarified Butter)
- Some milk to form the cookie dough
- Some fine chopped pistachios for decoration
- Take amaranth flour, sugar and almond meal in bowl and mix them well together, break the sugar lumps if any
- Add ghee to this and rub the flour and ghee mixture between your palms, mix it very well
- Then add little milk and form a soft smooth cookie dough
- Pull out small balls from the dough and line them on the greased baking tray
- Stick some fine chopped pistachio over them and bake in a preheated oven at 160 degrees for 14-18 minutes until the crust looks golden and done.(And I forgot to take pictures of this step in hurry)
- Store in an airtight container after cooling completely
They are completely free from any alien agents and ingredients that can’t be taken during fasts, so this one is a must try during this Navratri 🙂