Golgappas aka Pani-Puri aka Puchka aka Gupchup or pani k patashey is a quintessential ‘Indian Street Food’ wherever you go. You will definitely find a Golgappa vendor in almost all Indian streets; it is such a popular food item. And why not, it carries a whole world of flavors within a small crispy fried puri. I travel a lot and I have had chance of living in different states of India for good amount of time and thus had a chance to savor the different kind of golgappas… mmm my mouth waters as I think of many of them 😋 🤗 The most popular ones are the Khatta n Theeka(Sour & Spicy), almost all girls love them and boys too 😉 but my man loves the Meetha(Sweet) pani 😍
When I decided to make them at home, I thought why not have a Lunch Date with the Golgappas and prepare them in such a way that we can enjoy them as a whole lunch platter. So I came up with different kind of fillings ideas for the puris. And I made these special 6 kind of fillings for the puris and we relished them on a lazy weekend lunch totally.
While the regular golgappa pani is my favorite, there was so much of flavor in the Cheesy, Chocolaty and Mangolicious Golgappas. I loved the freshness of Minty Watermelon & Jeera Sweet-lime water as well. It all balancing flavors, you can choose your favorites and prepare them in your and your family’s favorite way.
- 2 ripe mangoes – chopped
- 4-5 basil leaves
- 2 cups fresh sweet-lime juice
- 2 cups diced watermelon
- 1 & ½ cup fresh mint leaves
- 1 cup fresh coriander leaves
- 1-2 green chilies
- 1 inch ginger
- ½ cup fresh cream
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp chopped pistachios
- 1 tbsp whole wheat flour
- `1 tbsp butter
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp + 2 tbsp chopped spring onion greens
- ¼ cup grated processed cheese
- Salt to taste
- Black Salt to taste
- Chaat Masala to taste
- 1 tsp roasted cumin powder
- Sugar(if required in any of the juices)
- Jaljeera powder to taste
- 1 tsp hing(asafoetida)
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- Water as required
- 2 -3 large boiled potatoes
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- Golgappa puris as required
- For Basil Aamras: Take the chopped mangoes and washed basil leaves in a blender jar and blitz. If needed add a little water and sugar to puree and enhance taste, for us the mangoes had perfect sweetness. Your Basil Aamras is ready, keep it in fridge and chill before serving
- For Minty Watermelon: Put the diced watermelon, ½ cup of washed mint leaves, black salt and chaat masala to taste and blitz all of them together. Chill this well before serving
- For Jeera Sweet –lime: In a bowl mix together, 2 cups fresh sweet-lime juice, 1 tsp roasted cumin(jeera) powder and black salt to taste. Adjust the sweetness to suit your taste by adding some sugar if desired. Chill in fridge and take out just before serving.
- Cheesy Garlic Sauce: In a pan add butter and when it melts add flour and roast the flour till it changes color and is aromatic. Add one cup of milk to this and mix well using a whisk, so that no lumps are formed. Let it boil and then add 1 tsp minced garlic and 2 tbsp chopped spring onion greens, salt & pepper to taste. Mix well and take off the flame
- Choco Pista Sauce: Heat the fresh cream in a pan till it starts to bubble, take off the flame and add chocolate chips, mix it well and make it a homogeneous, smooth mixture. Finally add the pistachios just when serving.
- Regular Panipuri Water: In a blender jar take ½ cup coriander leaves, 1 cup mint leaves, 1-2 green chillies(as per taste) and one inch ginger add some water to make a paste. Take out this paste in a big bowl and add 4 cups of water, hing powder and Jaljeera powder to taste(I added 4 large spoons of it)
- For Potato Filling: In a bowl add boiled potatoes, chopped onions, 2 tbsp spring onion greens, 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves, salt to taste, 1 tbsp jaljeera powder and 1 tsp red chilli powder, mash and mix all of these together very well. The filling is ready.
- For Dates & Tamarind Chutney: refer this link – Easy Dates & Tamrind Chutney
- For serving fill the golgappa pooris with desired filling of potatoes, spring onions, pistachios and add the respective flavored water/puree or sauce.
Serve these Golgappas as a whole lunch platter, your family and friends are going to be blown with the burst of these flavors with crispy pooris😍🤗